Friday, July 11, 2008

How would a man handle this?

Dear Diary:

Today my fencing instructor asked me how many shirts I brought to the big fencing tournament. "Two," I said. "Oh no, no no no, that is not enough shirts!" He replied. "You should have a shirt for each match. You don't want to go into a match all sweaty from the last match, because it is distracting." Actually, that might not have been the reason he gave, because at that point I was too embarrassed for not bringing enough shirts that I wasn't really listening.

I guess these big fencing tournaments are a lot different than the casual matches I am used to at the fencing temple! For a second I felt like a wide-eyed country boy wandering into the big city. But then I remembered that I am a man now.

With great power comes great responsibility. Mansponsibility. (I just made that up- if you would like to use it please appropriately attribute it to "Jason the Man". Thank you.)

Okay, so remember two paragraphs ago when I mentioned the "fencing temple"? That is NOT the actual name of the institution from which I learn and practice the ancient and elegant art of fencing! That is a name that my stupid friends made up because they do not understand the subtle beauty and refinement of my hobby. Do I make fun of their hobbies? No. No I do not. I might not understand all of the ins and outs and what-have-yous of their stupid hobbies, but a big part of being a man now is to learn to accept and appreciate differences in others, especially those less elegant and refined than me.

Sometimes, though, I get SO MAD that they call it the fencing temple and then laugh at me! I thought, "how would a man handle this situation?"

I think the next time they call it the fencing temple I am going to punch them. With my man fists.

This is Jason the Man, signing off.

No comments: